Saturday, February 19, 2011

Too Far?

Here is a new commercial for Dead Island, a zombie computer game.



My question is - do you think it goes too far?

Personally I think it does. It's exploiting the shock value of showing a small kid die brutally. Somehow it crosses the line for me. I realized that I don't want a computer game to intrude on some areas that are more serious for me. And it gets ridiculous if a game takes itself too seriously, I think. Same can be said about other products. I play a game to be entertained, excited, not for drama value.

The concept is interesting in the sense of showing the result first and then back-tracking to see how it came to be. But there again it's nothing new. Here is an award winning commercial that I believe sparked the idea for this game trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment